- Both authors and publishers of books are eligible to apply. A book may be by one or more authors. Grants may also be made for translating books.
- The authors or translators must have a signed contract with a publisher. Authors may apply for grants that will support research and travel necessary to complete a book. Publishers may only apply for a subvention related to the cost of enhanced production values and/or a lower purchase price.
- Authors must submit a budget detailing the expenses they will incur in undertaking their work. Publishers must submit a pro forma budget demonstrating the necessity of a subvention solely for the purpose of increasing the number and quality of illustrations and overall production values. A request for a subvention will also be considered if it makes possible a book price below that which the estimated profit margin on the pro forma budget would allow.
Applications should include:
1. A brief description of the nature and scope of the publication project and its importance to the field.
2. A sample chapter and an introduction to the book.
3. A resume of the author(s) or translator.
4. A budget.
5. Two letters from qualified references who are knowledgeable in the area of the proposal and who have no connection to the project.
Applications must be sent to each of the three jury members by December 1 of the current calendar year. To receive the mailing addresses for the jury or address inquiries please contact:
Elizabeth Barlow Rogers, President
Foundation for Landscape Studies
7 West 81st Street
New York, NY 10024